Job Posting #: 20160125
Location: Guelph, ON
Full Time Position
Company and Position Overview:
Vive Crop Protection is a young, innovative, and rapidly-growing company based in Toronto. We focus on the delivery of crop protection active ingredients using polymer particles. Our products have the potential for major environmental and economic benefits, and we are working with global partners on a range of products under development.
We are looking for one individual to work with our biology team assisting with the cultivation of plants and insect colonies and the evaluation of new pesticide formulations. This is an entry-level position.
This position is located in Guelph, Ontario and is a full-time position.
Tasks will include:
- Setting up and executing insecticide/ fungicide/ herbicide experiments according to established SOPs or as directed by more senior staff
- Handling and mixing pesticide solutions
- Petri dish bioassay assembly
- Handling insects (Cabbage looper, corn rootworm etc.)
- Handling fungal spores while maintaining sterile environment
- Analyzing results and preparing detailed reports/ presentations for assigned work
- Performing scientific activities requiring accuracy of calculations, completeness of data and general adherence to prescribed methods and SOPs
- Cultivating plants for use in bioassays
- Maintaining insect colony
- Assisting in development of new assays
- Coordinating with chemists to improve formulations
- Other job-related duties as necessary
- B.Sc. in environmental science, biological science, or other agricultural related field
- Experience in biological lab
- Coursework in IPM, entomology, or toxicology an asset
- Comfortable using ARM and/or performing statistical analyses an asset
- Agronomy knowledge/ experience preferred
- Meticulous note-keeping
- Ability to work independently under tight deadlines in a team environment
- The majority of the work is performed in an environment that is normally clean and comfortable. Some of the work is performed in an environment where exposures to physical, chemical and biological hazards exist under controlled conditions.
- Potential hazards may include: noise, temperature extremes, biohazards and hazardous chemical products. Standard safety procedures will describe personal protective devices that are mandatory requirements of performing the work.
|Salary:||Conmensurate with experience; includes comprehensive benefits package|
|Application Deadline:||February 6, 2016|
|Start Date:||March, 2016|
Submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line heading “Research Assistant – Biology”. Applications will only be accepted online.
We wish to thank all prospective applicants. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.